RCA and Chief Rabbinate of Israel Enter Historic Agreement Regarding Jewish Status LettersJanuary 16, 2014
RCA and OU Repudiate Statement by Some Israeli Rabbis Denouncing US Secretary of State John KerryFebruary 5, 2014
Minutes for February, 2014 meeting of the RCA Executive Committee At a meeting of the Executive Committee of the Rabbinical Council of America, held at the home of RCA Vice President Efrem Goldberg, 22234 Hollyhock Trail, Boca Raton, FL, on Wednesday, February 5, 2014, President Leonard Matanky in the chair, and Reuven Tradburks acting on behalf of the secretary, the following items were decided:
- A motion to accept minutes of the Dec. 4, 2013, Executive Committee meeting passed unanimously.
- A motion by the Semicha Standards Committee to approve Rabbi Hershel Schachter and Rabbi Menachem Genack as private masmichim passed unanimously.
- The membership applications of Rafi Lipner, David Claman and Gil Student passed.
- A motion to dismiss a Vaad Hakavod investigation regarding Michael Broyde passed with one vote against.
- A motion passed unanimously to approve the following guideline for the use of RCA affiliation: “The RCA is a large organization representing a large array of rabbis across the Orthodox religious and political spectrums. Therefore, in order to maintain the integrity of the RCA, while recognizing the right of individual members to express personal opinions in public fora, we establish the following policy: If a member identifies himself as an RCA member or officer when expressing an opinion in public fora, unless speaking officially on behalf of the RCA, he must add that for identification purposes only and that the opinion of the writer does not necessarily represent the view of the Rabbinical Council of America or its leadership.”
- A motion approved the following members of the 2014 Convention Committee passed unanimously: Chaim Strauchler (co-chairman with Elazar Muskin [previously approved]), Ira Ebbin, Moshe Fuchs, Zev Goldberg, Yossi Levine, Moshe Rosenberg, and Chaim Steinmetz. A motion approved the following members of the 2014 Elections Committee passed unanimously: Daniel Alter (chairman), Ira Ebbin and Elie Weinstock. A motion to initiate a VHK against Avi Weiss was tabled. A motion directing the officers to develop a plan to address the issues which prompted that request passed (24 yes, 5 no, 2 abstention). Additional matters discussed:
- President Leonard Matanky reported that the agreement with the Israeli Chief Rabbinate to streamline the process of approval of personal status letters from RCA members is ready to be signed and is intended to be signed when Lenny Matanky and Mark Dratch are in Israel in the near future.2.a volume of “Tradition: A Journal of Orthodox Jewish Thought” is being released with articles about partnership minyanim.
- Executive Vice President Mark Dratch reported that The 2014 RCA Convention will take place from June 30 through July 2. Protocols for synagogues concerning abuse is available to our members.3.A survey concerning the use by chaverim of Prenuptial Agreements for the Prevention of Agunot will soon be distributed to all RCA members.
- Shmuel Goldin reported that a hazmana to appear at a Vaad Hakavod has been issued to Marc Schneier.
- Gedalyah Berger reported that the RCA joined other Orthodox Jewish organizations in filing a Supreme Court Amicus Brief in the Hobby Lobby case.
- Gedalyah Berger reported on the progress of the Constitution Revision Committee.
- Binyamin Blau, chairman of Semicha Standards Committee, reported that at the next Executive Committee meeting, he will present a written motion to allow membership on the basis of 2 private semichot, one which gives proper bechinot and the other who can vouch for the person individually.